Friday, June 16, 2017

Good News, Then A Little Bad News

It's been a while since I've updated this blog.  Since I was just at Fox Chase Cancer Center to be seen as a follow-up visit, I figured this would be a good time to dust the cobwebs off this blog.

I've been on Rubraca (rucaparib) since toward the end of April.  It had cut my CA-125 from over 500 to 193 in May, which was a terrific result.  This month, when we checked the CA-125, it had dropped from 193 to 26, which is an even better result.  (The CA-125 should be under 32, for frame of reference.)

Unfortunately, with me when there is good news there is bad news.  In my case, my hemoglobin is low (7.8) and my platelets are also low (77K).  The NP I was seeing asked me if I would consent to a blood transfusion, and I told her that I could not.  As one of Jehovah's Witnesses, I cannot accept any blood products, even if health care providers believe these products might be necessary to save my life.  (Acts 15:28, 29)  So, we're holding the Rubraca for a week and then rechecking my levels.  We'll probably need to do a dose reduction once my blood counts recover.  This is a drug you take for the rest of your life unless it's no longer effective or you're no longer able to tolerate the drug's side effects, so I'm sure I will be having plenty of times I have to stop then restart the drug.

The other bad news that I got was that I have pneumonia.  I was coughing a lot, but I just chalked it up to allergies.  Then I started coughing up blood tinged sputum, and then frank blood.  When I started coughing up globs of blood, I knew I was in trouble.  Fortunately, the NP was able to give me an antibiotic that should knock it out within a week. 

So, that's what's new with me.  After all that typing, I need a nap.

(I'm not sure why I picked this cartoon to conclude this blog.  It just amuses me.)